~♥Thank You♥~

Welcome to my Home Sweet Home!
♥ Kim - blogger since 2006

Thursday, August 30, 2007

~* Mantel *~

There was a part of my home that I've never been crazy about and that was the large boxed area in our living room. It's only function was to hide heater ducts, water pipes, etc (This part of the house is log so when it was remodeled in the 60's this is how everything was run up to the second floor). I think it was downright ugly! Ever since we moved into our home 2 years ago I've been looking for ways to make it more appealing. I decided to go on a search for an old mantel...needless to say what I found didn't work because they were always too wide. So, I told a friend of ours what I was wanting to do and he made this matel for us. I am so happy how it turned out. Here is a bigger view of the living room. This is what you see from the front door. This room isn't that large, but I still would like to do some rearranging of the furniture. We'll see what happens and if I'm happy with the results you'll definitely see pictures! Here is a closeup. The H O M E tealights were my latest find at Big Lots. They were from Hallmark. I paid $4.00 for them. The two taller candle holders were a thrift store find several years ago. I paid 25 cents a piece for them. My dh is a horse man...the horse figure came from Tractor Supply during one of their after Christmas sales. Can't remember the price, but I know it was cheap. Thanks for stopping by!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thank you Terri and Bob, Julie (Nunnie's Attic), Oak Wind Farm, Susan, My Heart Is Always Home, Kate, Bren, Heidi, Manuela, Karen, Deb, Lindy, Cherry, Kim K, Kim (Daisy Cottage), Becky, Mikki Jo, Heather, Mrs. U, Sandy and Marilyn for the sweet comments you left about my Gram's cookie cutters, the canisters, and my kitchen! I really appreciate the time you all have taken to look at my pictures and read what I have to say. Thank you again...I wish I could invite you all over for a visit.

23 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful as is your home. I will visit alot so don't run me off lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love seeing all your beautiful home pictures ~ How nice!! What a special mantel!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please I need to know how you accomplished this, I tried this once (I was very limited since I still live in an apartment) and it was a disaster. I have the pictures to prove it.
    Details please, how did you do this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've lived in older homes as well, and I'm well aware of the "hiding" of necessary new additions to a home. ;0)
    We once put a washer and dryer upstairs in an old victorian, and had to run it through a tiny little closet and through the floor.
    Your friend did a beautiful job on your mantel. My daughter loves horses, too and would love to find one like yours. I've not been in Big Lots in a while, maybe I should go. Now. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. NEAT-O!! I love the mantel. I think you will, too! I did the same thing to one of my houses when I was first married and I absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kim!
    Your mantle looks great! What a wonderful idea to beautify an "ugly" spot! If you hadn't told us, none of us would have known that it wasn't a real fireplace there! Your friend did a nice job on the mantle and I know you are very happy with it. I would be too!
    I am so envious of your beautiful home. Are any of the log sections visible anymore? I love old log cabins as well as farmhouses!
    Have a great day!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I really could stop by for a visit. But I do so virtually instead. What a pretty mantle. And won't this be so much fun to decorate at the holidays! I have a wood stove in my living room and have been pestering my husband to agree to have a Dutch mantle built around it. I have not convinced him as of yet but there is hope. By the way, I adore those tea lights. What a find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that mantel is so pretty as is the rest of your home. I happened upon your blog and am loving everyminute of it. I really like your kitchen. That is what I am trying to accomplish in mine that it would remind me of my gram's whom I loved so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful. I love the concept. In my blah-blah decorating style I would have hung a picture or something like that. I'm taking notes - and you're not that far from me....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mantel is gorgeous! I love the H O M E tea lights & the horse statue! Your living room is warm and inviting looking ~ your friend did a wonderful job making your mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is what I want, a "mantle" so I can have a master bedroom fireplace! How nice of our friend to make you something so special!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that was a lovely solution. It looks great.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new mantle is gorgeous! I love that your friend made it for you too...so special!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have done such a lovely job decorating your home, it's so warm and cozy and I just love your mantel :)

    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I just love it! Your friend did such a great job - it looks perfect in that spot. I have got to go to Big Lots (I keep forgetting). Those tea lights are the cutest things ever!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  16. H, Kim, what a clever way to disguise an area you don't want highlighted. Love your little HOME lights. Thank you for stopping by to see me...you always leave sweet comments!

    Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  17. very cool idea indeed! Love the votives that spell out home. Bet they look neat lit up at night. xoxo, cherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the mantel. It looks like it's always been there.

    Leigh Ann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the mantel very much....the tea lights are perfect too...Love your blog!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your new mantel and how you have it decorated, too. I bet that you will have it all prettied up for Christmas! Thank you for telling me that you found a cabinet. I was looking for one for you the other day at the shop I got mine. However, they did not have a single one.

    Hope your weekend is going great!!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a perfectly charming room!

    I would love to have tea with you in this cozy room, and pour through magazines and chat. Its a lovely room, and your new mantel looks very much at home here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, I am the other half of Nunnie's Attic. I am not good at leaving comments but that mantel is so beautiful I just had to tell you.
    As long as I am here I want to tell you how beautiful your house is. I would give anything to have your house. To bad I am a little to old to star over. Keep up the good work
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your mantle looks fabulous! And I love those "home" tealights! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment.